Wednesday, October 25, 2006

just love it...

so it wasn't my CPU that was bad... the new one arrived today and I put it in... it worked for a bit, I left the room and came back, and a pale-ish blue screen was up... completely frozen... restarted the pc and the monitors wouldn't come on... same symptoms as with the old cpu...

Put the 2.4 slow as heck celeron back in... it worked fine...

then i realized the PC's FSB was only 133x4 with the celeron in, whereas its 200x4 with the p4 in, causing more strain on the mobo... I put the p4 back in (it boots when i swap back to the p4 from the celeron for some reason), and then downclocked my FSB to 133 rather than 200. It's working so far... and this P4 at 1.9 GHz is faster than the celeron at 2.4...

so this motherboard which I bought ~3yrs and 3 mos ago.. has a 3 yr warranty... and cost me $180 when I got it. To get a used one off ebay... $150 bucks... 3 stinking years later... and I can't just get any 478 mobo with P4c support because my main drives are on Raid 0, and swapping those causes issues...

I just needed this PC to last me one more year til I got out of college... could it do that? no... of course not >.<

yeah and to return the new cpu... 20% restocking fee +shipping... i think i'll just resell it on ebay...

so that's why no releases today, and yesterday I had to get to bed early after a full day... hopefully I'll get one out tomorrow night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Blame the 50+ diff kinds of P4s and model numbers which came around right after Northwood kicked the bucket. If you wanna keep your old goods (vid/ram/etc), why not find a cheap used Athlon64 barebones on ebay? $150 is absurd for an old mobo.

Maniac said...

I could have done that... but I have my main HDD's on a Raid 0 array... and I really don't feel like redoing it... I'm not a big AMD fan anyway, though it's not that I wouldn't get one. Mobo's been ordered now anyway, but checking that out would have been a good idea, oh well.

Unknown said...

Well as long as ur rig works...I know how it can be at end of college...you just want the stuff to work. Most of the AMD rigs people are selling used parts of, are NForce4 based, so they all have raid 0/1/5.

Maniac said...

the problem with that is... most raid arrays aren't compatible with each other so I'd have to rebuild the array and find somewhere to store my data while i'm at it.